Friday 18 January 2008

Miss America uses smarts for charity

I'm Lauren Nelson. I'm Miss America, and I am not smarter than a fifth-grader.”

That's what Oklahoma's own Miss America said Thursday on national television as she won $175,000 on the Fox game show, "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?” But she proved she is smarter than her fifth-grade opponents, even if she did get some coaching from a grade-schooler with questions up to the $175,000 one.

She won the money by answering a math question correctly, and then realizing she probably didn't know the correct answer to the next question worth $300,000.

The $175,000 question was a fourth-grade math question: What is the greatest common factor of 12 and 36?

"I know this. I'm confident,” Nelson said. She wavered just a second, then confidently holding up her tiara-adorned head, she said, "I'm going to go with my gut and go with 12 and lock it in.”

Her young opponents answered 12, 6, 4 and 4.

"Lauren, I don't know how to tell you this,” host Jeff Foxworthy said. "You just won $175,000!”

Actually, she won the $175,000 for the Miss America Organization Scholarship Fund.

Source: By Heather Warlick newsok.com

No comments: